Traffic accidents continue to haunt road users. 15 years ago, there were many victims of traffic accidents were reasoned that the main cause of traffic accidents was due to poor road conditions and inadequate road capacity to accommodate the number of vehicles.
In the period 2015 – 2020, many new highways and toll roads were built, including road improvement in many areas. The new road facilities and repairs of old roads, have those efforts reduced the number of traffic accidents, and it turns out that the number of accidents has not decreased, it even tends to be stable and has a slight increase.
Based on the data collected from 2011 – 2020, obtained:
1. The average number of traffic accidents is 110,000 incidents.
2. The average death rate due to traffic accidents is 22,000 victims
Then looking at the data on the population of motorized vehicles in Indonesia, the following data are obtained:
1. The increase in motorized vehicles in Indonesia was 5% before the Covid-19 pandemic
2. The number of vehicles in 2020 is 136 million (motorcycles, cars, freight cars, and buses).
Looking at the length of roads in Indonesia, based on statistical data for 2021, Indonesia has more than 544 thousand kilometers of roads.
By looking at the above conditions, both in terms of the number of vehicles and the length of the available roads, traffic conditions should improve.
However, traffic accidents continue to occur every year, hence real action is needed to fix this situation.
60% of the victims of traffic accidents are aged 18-39 years which is productive age.
The government has issued a Rencana Umum Nasional Keselamatan Jalan (RUNK) for 2011 – 2035 and followed with the Presidential Instruction of the Republic of Indonesia number 4 of 2013 regarding the Decade of Action for Road Safety Program (Indonesia's participation in the Decade of Action by the United Nations).
The RUNK has 5 pillars that correspond to the Decade of Action, and these pillars are:
1. Pillar 1: Road Safety Management
2. 2nd Pillar: Safe Road
3. 3rd Pillar: Safe vehicles
4. Pillar 4: Safe Road User Behavior
5. Pillar 5: Handling Post-Accident Victims
The pillar is following the decade of action program, only adjustments are made to the conditions in Indonesia. https://indonesiaroadsafety.home.blog/2019/05/01/rencana-umum-nasional-keselamatan-runk-jalan-dab-dekade-aksi-keselamatan-jalan-dakj/
In its implementation, the Indonesian government has 10 policies which are then implemented in 5 stages every 5 years, from 2011 up to 2035.
Looking at the 5 Pillars that have been made by the government, there are regulations currently being issued by the Ministry of Transportation to support the implementation of the 1st & 3rd pillars. The synergy between the Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of PUPR, Central & Regional Government to continue to improve road conditions to support the 2nd pillar.
This 4th pillar is the shared responsibility of all road users, there are lacking conditions in this area. It is evident from the many studies conducted on road user behavior, which are then summarized as follows:
1. Rider's emotional level (ego)
2. Driver's Education Level
3. Work Pressure
4. Press the economy
5. Patterns of daily life.
One of the articles that is interesting and worth reading is https://ojs.balitbanghub.dephub.go.id/index.php/jurnaldarat/article/view/118
Easysafety was created to support RUNK and Decade of Action, in the form of applications that can be accessed via Android and iOS.
1. Pillar 1, the Easysafety application becomes a personal assistant to remind drivers to make preparationbefore leaving for driving.
2. The 2nd pillar, the Easysafety application helps drivers assess road hazards which then becomes shared data that can be accessed by all easysafety users.
3. The 3rd pillar, the Easysafety application has a feature for vehicle users to carry out vehicle inspections, as a tool to determine whether the vehicle is roadworthy or not before driving/riding.
4. The 4th pillar, the Easysaefty application has a feature to monitor the speed of the driver, so that driving behavior can be known. In the future, easysafety will be linked with GPS to monitor sudden speed increases and sudden braking.
5. The 5th pillar, the Easysafety application has a feature for emergency response, to support post-crash action and get the first responder immediately at the crash scene.
Easysafety's role is to support RUNK and Decade of Action, hopefully in the future road safety in Indonesia will be better.